Study business in the UK
What is business?
A degree in business involves the study of commercial activity, economics, management and the principles of business. You will develop a broad understanding of how business organisations are run, and learn about areas such as financial markets, operations, communication, information technology, business policy and strategy.
What are the different fields in business?
Some of the fields you will be able to specialise in include:
- Accounting and Finance – Accounting is the recording and reporting of financial transactions, while finance is the planning and distribution of business assets
- Business Management – The study of how companies are run, including leadership, monitoring, organisation, planning and strategy
- Politics and Economics – Examining how business interacts with law, the economy and government
- Investment Management – Learning how to manage business’ investment portfolios and stock
- Corporate Finance – The area of finance that deals with sources of funding and the financial structure of corporations
- Economics and Finance - The study of business and finance topics alongside the core elements of economics
5 reasons to study business
There are many benefits to studying a degree in business:
1. Combine your interests
You can typically work in a variety of different roles, such as marketing and public relations, where you could work in an area you are passionate about, such as travel or sports.
2. Develop entrepreneurial skills
You will have the opportunity to develop your own business ideas. You will be able to think logically and critically about problems, coming up with solutions that bring multiple points of view together.
3. Start your own business
During your time studying business, you will be given the key academic knowledge you will need to eventually start your own business. You will develop an understanding of project management, finance, accounting and marketing to give you an overall understanding of how businesses operate and become successful.
4. Improve your communication
A business degree will help you develop all aspects of your communication, from presenting a pitch to writing an in-depth report. You will learn how to express your views and diplomatically respond to opinion conflicts, all key in the business world.
5. Gain a global perspective
Studying business will allow you to gain a global outlook - to work, create and collaborate with people and businesses from different cultures.
Why study business at the University of Surrey?
If you choose to study business at the University of Surrey you will be based at Surrey Business School. Renowned for its world-class research and dynamic learning environment, you will be supported to develop your entrepreneurial and critical thinking skills.
Surrey Business School is a member of the Academy of Marketing and is also accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Throughout your studies, you will have plenty of opportunities to engage with real-world business problems. This will give you vital experience to have a successful career in business.
For undergraduate students, you will have the option to take on a Professional Training Year placement that will give you the chance to develop your professional and academic potential. It will equip you with desirable skills and qualities such as adaptability, resilience and confidence. Awarded "University of the Year for Graduate Employment" by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 and the Best UK University Placement Service (National Undergraduate Employability Awards 2019-2021) with over 2,300 placement partners.
Become a highly employable graduate
Students that choose to study business at Surrey gain the expert knowledge and skills desired by employers. Boasting an excellent record of graduate employment, Surrey Business School graduates have gone into a variety roles such as:
- Business Unit Controller at Thomson Reuters
- Management Consultant at PwC
- Marketing Executive at Microsoft
- Account Manager at Capgemini
Degree options at the University of Surrey
There are a variety of business degrees you could progress to at Surrey after studying the relevant pathway at the International Study Centre:
- Business Economics BSc (Hons)
- Business Management BSc (Hons)
- Business Management (Entrepreneurship) BSc (Hons)
- Business Management (Human Resource Management) BSc (Hons)
- Business Management (Marketing) BSc (Hons)
- Business Management and French BA (Hons)
- Business Management and Spanish BA (Hons)
- International Business Management BSc (Hons)
- Business and Retail Management BSc (Hons)
- International Business Management MSc
- Business Analytics MSc
- Digital Marketing and Channel Management MSc
- Human Resources Management MSc
- International Finance Management MSc
- Investment Management MSc
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management MSc
- Management MSc
- Strategic Marketing MSc
Careers with a business degree
There are a wide variety of career options available to business graduates. You can stay on and further your academic experience, or enter one of many different careers such as:
- Business advisor
- Data analyst
- Management consultant
- Risk manager
- Business reporter
- Marketing executive
University of Surrey is proud to be ranked 9th in the UK and 61st in the world for Business and Economics in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
“I did my placement at BP in London as an economics research assistant. I’m now interested in policy issues in the energy sector, which has led me to take a module in my final year called Energy Economics, looking at issues like how inflation affects the welfare of the economy.”
Catherine from Nigeria
Studied International Foundation Year – Business, Economics, Law and Social Sciences