Study computing and computer science in the UK
What is computing and computer science?
Computing and computer science is the use and operation of computers, computing systems and computational theory. This includes any activity that uses computers, including developing hardware and software. Computer science focuses on the theory, experimentation and engineering that are the fundamentals in the design and use of computers.
What are the different fields in computing and computer science
There are many different areas of computing and computer science, including:
- Artificial intelligence - Focuses on machine learning such as speech recognition software and self-driving cars.
- Programming - The heart of computer science, programming is writing useful and maintainable source code that allows computers to execute a task..
- Computer graphics - Concentrates on generating and processing images, both 2D and 3D, for industries such as film, games and medicine.
- Hardware - Concerns building computer circuits and chips.
- Cybersecurity - Ensures organisations and individuals are safe from threats such as data breaches.
5 reasons to study computing and computer science
Computing and computer science is a fascinating subject area with many advantages to studying it at university:
1. Digital technology in society
Computers are a key aspect of modern-day life, powering many of the things we do every day; from banking to the cars we drive, and the entertainment we enjoy.
2. In-demand salaries with high jobs
Graduates of computing and computer science are in high demand. There is an abundance of career options for computer and IT specialists and they often offer salaries that are higher than average.
3. Develop your problem-solving skills
Studying computing and computer science will develop your ability to solve problems, improving your skills every day. Typically graduates of computing and computer science will face challenges that they must develop solutions for, such as improving experiences in online shopping and improving the way apps work.
4. Computer scientists change the world
You could be part of developing new technology that can stop cyber-attacks, predict the next earthquake, or help treat health issues.
5. Opportunities to specialize
With so many specialist options in computer science, you can follow an area you are most passionate about. You could work in cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, software engineering or a variety of other areas.
Why study computing and computer science at the University of Surrey?
Studying Computing or Computer Science at Surrey will equip you with the necessary skills needed to have a successful career.
During your studies at the University of Surrey, you will develop the knowledge and skills you need to innovate, implement and solve issues for computer software and systems. You will get the opportunity to apply theory to real-world scenarios.
For undergraduate students, the Professional Training Year programme gives you the chance to gain professional experience and gain the skills that can be crucial to advancing your career. You will be able to apply theory to real-world scenarios that can give you invaluable industry experience that will help you stand out to potential employers. Some of the companies that have taken part in the placement programme have included:
- Sky TV
- Sony Europe Ltd
- Nintendo of Europe GmbH
You will be part of the Department of Computer Science where you will enjoy a friendly and supportive environment with first-class facilities. Some of the facilities include a computing lab, Human Movement Lab, group work pods and a flexible teaching zone.
Degree options at the University of Surrey
Explore the computer science and computing degrees you could progress to after studying the relevant pathway at the International Study Centre:
- Aerospace Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Automotive Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Biomedical Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Chemical and Petroleum Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Chemical Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Civil Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Computer and Internet Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering with Space Systems MEng (Hons) or BEng (Hons)
Careers with a computing and computer science degree
Thanks to an ever digitalising world, computing and computer science graduates are in high demand and will have a variety of career paths they could pursue, including:
- IT Consultant
- Games Developer
- Web Designer
- Data Analyst
- SEO Specialist
- Software Engineer
- Forensic Computer Analyst
- Cyber Security Analyst